Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Book Clothing ???



So I stumbled upon this site called outofprintclothing.com and now I'm engaged in an intense internal debate over how badly I really need socks that look like the cards they stamp in the backs of library books (hint: so badly)

  

Their main thing, though, seems to be various items of clothing with famous book covers on them. I'm partial to the 'La Petit Prince' and 'Fahrenheit 451' tee shirts, myself. 


I know there's probably a good amount of baggage involved in wearing a book cover on your body, especially when it's a well-known "intellectual" or "literary" novel. I feel like if I bought one of these, I'd have to accept the fact that ultimately part of my reasoning would be because it would make me look more intelligent and well read (it would essentially have the same effect as very obviously carrying around one of these novels with me wherever I go). The other parts would be because I love the books regardless of what people think of them, and because they're pretty, god damn it, and I think I'd look cute in them. 

Some questions to consider:

Do you even have to have read the books to wear them (Is this the same thing as wearing band tee shirts) ? Do I have to have a certain amount of in-depth knowledge on these books in order for me to be allowed to wear them? Would wearing them make me pretentious? Would wearing certain books be seen as some kind of statement? Can I do/wear/read/say anything without it being somehow construed as having an ulterior motive? Does everything I do/wear/read/say actually have an ulterior motive that I may or may not be aware of because it's somehow subconscious? Are all of my actions somehow tied in with a desire to present myself a certain way to people (including myself) ?

Will I ever be able to do something like casually look at clothes online without needing to dissect it for hidden meanings and philosophical implications? We may never know.



No comments:

Post a Comment