Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Infinite Jest Liveblog Part 4: Prince Hal

Just a bit over 100 pages from the end of Infinite Jest, I'm in a kind of emotional tug of war between wanting to read it constantly, and knowing that if I do it will very shortly be over.

Instead of a full-on point form recap this time (because I think that was starting to get excessive), I'll just do a quick note on where I am right now. 

There have been a ton of Hamlet references throughout the book so far, but I think this point is where it's really starting to all line up - or at least the scene I just read seems to be quite similar to the opening scene of Hamlet. You've got the ghost of Himself, who is possibly the reason for everything being moved around at Enfield (and Ortho's bed), Ortho stuck to the window kind of "standing watch" over the grounds, Hal's facial expressions doing weird things (is he mad? is he pretending? is everyone else mad or pretending? who do you trust? though this be madness, yet is there method in't?) ... I still don't know what's going on but I'm loving every second of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment