Monday, July 20, 2015

The Decemberists


My mum recommended this band to me a few months back but I kind of brushed the suggestion aside and forgot about it until they were recommended again, by my drama teacher this time (who has given me some really excellent recs in the past), at the end of the school year. So I got their newest album from my mum and promptly fell in love with it, and shortly after also got "The King Is Dead", and then just three days ago finally got around to buying Picaresque on iTunes. And, can I just say, wow. I don't want to go out and listen to their entire discography quite yet because I've learned from past experience that it's usually best to just immerse yourself one album at a time, but I REALLY LOVE THEM SO FAR.

The following is a diagram detailing the process of band obsession:


They're basically huge nerds who make beautiful music with tons of literary-type allusions and gorgeous poetry. What more could you possibly want? They have a music video version of the Eschaton scene from Infinite Jest, and another one that's based on Rushmore by Wes Anderson. LIKE?? YES PLEASE. THANK YOU.



Again, I've only listened to three of their albums, and to be honest I love pretty much all of their songs (especially on picaresque, wowww) but so far my favourite songs are definitely:

What a Terrible World, What a Beautiful World
The Wrong Year
A Beginning Song
Carolina Low

The King is Dead
Rox in the Box
Calamity Song

Picaresque 
The Sporting Life
The Bagman's  Gambit
On The Bus Mall (lovelovelovelove)

No comments:

Post a Comment