Friday, July 14, 2017

Thoughts from the road

A long and full day again today, but things should be settling down starting tomorrow I think, since I don't have to start til 3 instead of 1:30 like I did today.

Anyway, thought of the day comes from riding the uhaul truck back from the site this evening — I'd never been in a truck before, and it was so strange to see the view of the city from so much higher up than I'd ever seen it before. It was really pretty (I have a thing for skylines, I know), but also weird to think about how much I don't see on a regular basis. Talked about that in a conversation on the way there today as well, about how there's so much to learn and see and experience in the world but it's so hard to actually get to even a tiny fraction of it.

I will never read every book, or listen to every piece of music, or go to every place, or talk to every person, and the world in which I live will always be so small. That's just part of what it means to be alive. But still, compared to even a couple decades ago, or to other parts of the world, I have access to so much more than people could have even imagined. Huge systems of privilege afford me the luxury of choice in what I spend my time exposing myself to, and I guess in the grand scheme of things it's a pretty nice problem to have. It just means I have a certain amount of responsibility, I think, to consider what choices I'm making and why.

You'll never see the whole sky, that shouldn't mean you have to point your telescope at only one constellation forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment